Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:34:22 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Satoshi Asami" <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: end of 3-stable support

> Well, considering that the most of the people from the porting team do not
have a
> 3-stable box to test or debug ports on, and 3-stable package building on
bento
> will be terminated, I think it would be fair to officially declare end of
> 3-stable support and remove 3-stable belts and whistles from the
bsd.port.mk and
> ports' Makefiles.

This is true.  Although I'm not a porter or committer, I'm a heavy user of
FreeBSD and I try and keep all my systems as close-to-new as possible.  I've
found myself tripping over the 3.x cruft in bsd.port.mk a fair bit lately :)

Should the whole "support for ports and packges" issue be formalized into a
standard practice?  I was thinking along the lines of "once
<current_version>.3 is released, then package building and ports-tree
support for <prior-version>.x will be terminated."  Essentially, this means
that people need to freeze their prior-version systems or bite the bullet
and upgrade them

--
Matt Emmerton