Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2011 17:44:32 +0800
From:      darcsis@gmail.com (Denise H. G.)
To:        lists@midsummerdream.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AHCI driver and static device names

On 2011/12/03 at 10:51, Rob <lists@midsummerdream.org> wrote:

> I was getting ready to install the latest FreeBSD 9-RCs image, and I
> found that 9 now defaults to using the ahci driver for sata disks.
> This would be great if it weren't for the fact that the ahci driver
> seems to do dynamic device name assignment as opposed to the static
> ones used with the older drivers.
>
> I've looked around on google and while this is mentioned (in old
> threads), the "solution" is to use labels or elaborate mapping via
> hints which really aren't solutions imo.  If I have 15 disks in an
> array, I want to be able to label them and know which bay is which
> device name. If I have to replace a drive, I have no idea what dynamic
> device name it will have when it comes time to partition (and label,
> if I were using that).  I could probably figure it out by looking at
> what disks are used on the system, but that's more work that it really
> should be.

It seems AHCI driver uses static naming policies if you have 'options
ATA_STATIC_ID' in your kernel configuration. Anyway, I just have one
SATA disk, which the system recognizes as 'ada4'.

I don't know whether this will apply in your case.

> Is there a way to use the ahci driver and get static device names?
>
> Rob

The first page the author turns to upon receiving an
advance copy will be the page containing the worst
error.