Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE causes kernel panic

I ran into this problem before. I was running the 4.2 Release (no updates),
and updated my ppp to some patched-version that I got from some website
(can't remember which one). The patch said that it updated ppp-2.4.0 to
support PPPoE. Once I did that and recompiled the kernel with all the
Netgraph stuff, I'd get a kernel panic whenever I started ppp. I recently
re-installed 4.2 Release, without adding the ppp patch, and my PPPoE
now works fine. I have a 3COM 3C905, using the miibus device.

Christian Chen