Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:03:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Patricia J. Nolan" <nolan@twu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making aliases and/or redirecting a server to another server

On Tuesday, 29 September 1998 at  9:15:19 +0000, Patricia J. Nolan wrote:
> Okay, here it goes....I am very, very new to the Unix environment.  I am
> asking probably a 'greenhorn' question in terms of web/internet
> configuration in the FreeBSD OS.
>
> I have two options.....might I ask which one is easier?
>
> 1.  Assign two or more URL addresses to the same IP number (as aliases,
> etc.)
> For example, to have one.twu.edu also be two.twu.edu.

Well, those are domain names, not URLs.  A URL also includes at least
a service (telnet, http, ftp).

To set domain names, you need to frob your DNS configuration.  I'm
guessing that you're not running your own DNS, so you'll have to find
who is.  For example, for your mail domain, you would say

   $ whois twu.edu

   Registrant:
   Texas Woman's University (TWU-DOM)
      P.O. Box 425798
      Denton, TX 76204

      Domain Name: TWU.EDU

      Administrative Contact:
         Ferrell, Bobbie  (BF52)  FERRELL@TWU.EDU
         (817) 898-3284
      Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
         Riddle, Norma  (NR20)  RIDDLE@TWU.EDU
         817-898-3266

      Record last updated on 24-Nov-97.
      Record created on 17-Jun-92.
      Database last updated on 29-Sep-98 08:19:55 EDT.

      Domain servers in listed order:

      MERCURY.TWU.EDU              205.165.49.232
      ARGUS.MORE.NET               150.199.1.11
      VENUS.TWU.EDU                205.165.49.231
      NOC.MISSOURI.EDU             128.206.2.252
      PARKLAND.TWU.EDU             205.165.59.1

   Presumably Bobbie Ferrell would be the person to contact.

> 2. Or, to redirect a server to another URL.  How might this be done?

I'm not really sure what you mean by this question.  Can you expand?

Greg