Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:32:35 +0900
From:      Westbay Family <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        Radhika S <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jakarta-tomcat 4.1.18 and freebsd 5.0 problems

On 2003.3.25, at 11:20  PM, Radhika S-san wrote:

> bin/startup.sh, I notice the cpu and memory for the java
> process start rising up and in about 2 minutes, the process
> aborts adn i have a core file, java.core in my
> $CATALINA_HOME/bin directory.
>
> What am i doing wrong. I do not have another server running
> on port 8080.

These are the two things that I find are the cause of core dumps:

   1.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/logs for a hint.  File access problems
       are a common failure point.

   2.  Check $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml to see if you have the
       https connector enabled without having SSL properly setup.

For #1, the port will install everything with the www:www user/group.
That means that if you're trying to start as your logged in user, you
generally won't have write permission in the logs (or any other)
directory.  That will cause Tomcat to crash.

If this is the case,

     chmod -R g+w $CATALINA_HOME

and be sure that your user is a member of the www group.

For #2, follow the SSL enabling instructions explained in the
tomcat-documentation (or something similar) context.  If it's on your
local computer, you can browse the documentation directly.  If it's on
a remote machine, lynx or w3m (both in ports) will allow you to view
the documentation without having to startup Tomcat.

Hope this helps.

---
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/