Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:43:00 +0300
From:      Martes Wigglesworth <martes.wigglesworth@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-isp list <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with autoboot on powerup...

Greetings.  I was just hoping that someone has had experience getting
the PCChips motherboards to boot on lan, or boot with power.  The bios
does not have the same nifty options like the old days, where it has an
option for keeping the state just before losing power.  I have noticed
this on alot of new bioses.  They don't allow you to tell the
motherboard to autoboot, when power if applied.  I have it hooked up to
a switch, and the clients are sending packets, however, nothing happens.
Hence, "Boot-on-lan" is seemingly worthless, as well.  I have never
actually seen ANY boot-on-lan motherboard, actually Boot on lan packets
being sent, so I have come to beleive that this is not even a real
option, but no one actually realises this, since they never actually
have  to use it.

I would appreciate some assistance.  (Please excuse the frustration, but
it is really irritating when manufacturer take out options that work,
for newer, frilly nonsense, that doesn't.)

--
Respectfully,

M.G.W.

System: