Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 19:16:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FOLLOWUP: Re: HEADS-UP: bdevs have been assimilated.

Sorry- maybe more of an edge case. It really has to do with 'ad' support
seemingly vanishing from the alpha. Or, rather, it's hard to say exactly
what has happened:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/rad0a
no such device 'rad'
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

But then, there's an older system on da0:

Mounting root from ufs:da0a
WARNING: clock gained 14 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
swapon: adding /dev/da0b as swap device

which makes it less of a bad bad but still very very annoying. It's hard
to find out what's going on because even though there is some vague
attempts to stop the loader (whereupon you get a phony 'ok' prompt), no
passing of variables set there occurs (so no 'bootverbose').

So, it's conceivable that this is just edge case alpha breakage. With < 2
weeks to feature freeze for 4.0 it is very hard for some of us who attempt
to make sure things we deliver actually work on both platforms if the
second platform is broken. I'm plenty pissed off, but, c'est la vie...

-matt