Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:51:35 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: cloning network interfaces

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 11:29:07PM +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> I think it is not BSD network way.  Recent NetBSD has network
> interface cloning.  It uses SIOCIFCREATE and SIOCIFDESTROY.  It may
> good to port it to FreeBSD.

I'll take a look at it.  I'm not convinced the /dev/if_gif way is wrong.
Creation and destruction is an out of band operation and using socket
interface IOCTLS seems to change their semantics significantly.  Without
devfs, I'd probably agree because you'd have to add and remove the
/dev/if_gif device manualy, but with it, device creation is basicaly
free (ok, for now it takes a major, but not for long.)  Anyway, I'll
consider it, but I don't promise to adopt it.

> NetBSD's ifconfig has `create' and `destroy' keyword for it.
>=20
> You can create gif interface by
> 	ifconfig gif0 create
> or
> 	ifconfig gif0 create tunnel 10.0.0.1 10.0.2.2
> To destroy gif interface:
> 	ifconfig gif0 destroy

I've moved to `plumb' and `umplumb' like solaris.  I'll definatly add
`create' and `destroy'.

> BTW, gifconfig will be obsoleted soon as KAME and other BSDs did.

Good, it doesn't make much sense.

-- Brooks

--=20

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb