Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 23:29:15 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF binary type not known

It was Doug White who wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
> > I tried to install the linux_lib 2.4, and it tries to run the Linux
> > ldconfig (ldconfig, I think) at the end of the make install process.
> > When it tries to do this, it says "ELF: binary type not known, signal 6:
> > ignored". The make install completes OK, though.
>
> Make sure you're loading the Linux LKM through /etc/rc.conf.  You may need
> to run `brandelf -t Linux ldconfig' to have FreeBSD grok the emulation
> properly.  The options COMPAT_LINUX / LINUX_COMPAT are no longer needed,
> thankfully.

Has anybody cooked a hack to avoid branding for a default type
of ELF binaries ?
Like some sysctl to set the default e.g. to Linux to say
"if it's ELF and you didn't find a type, assume Linux".
(Just to be able to install directly from CD.)

I looked in /sys/kern/imgact_elf.c but found no clue.

TIA,
Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)