Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 20:34:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Mark Segal <webmaster@club-web.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP ON: Cisco's, Ascend, Routing, and User Management.

> 	Cisco Ascess Server 5248 (AS5248)
> 	Ascend MAX-4048
> -they are the bundled ones, modems. PRI support.. :)..
>
> 	1) Both are relativly the same price, but how which one should i pick,
> ie Cisco or Ascend.

We are about to undergo the same process.  We are going to get the Cisco
AS5200 dialin server tho.  We currently have 2 Cisco 2501's and they are
amazing little boxes.  They run extremely well, and the AS5200 is built
around them as their routing engine.  I don't like Ascend too much (please
don't flame back) and if you are already familiar with Cisco's IOS, you
will have no problems configuring the new server.

> 	2) Has anyione actually got either Ascend's or Ciscos software for the
> user manager working with FreeBSD?

Will know in about 2 weeks on that one...we are planning on using the
Cisco TACACS+ accounting which comes standard with the Cisco's...The
documentation I have on it makes it sound extremely superior to RADIUS,
but I have no experience with RADIUS as of yet, so I can make no fair
comparison.

> 	3) And can anyone recomend a book that would give me a good
> understanding of TCP/IP & Routing?

Go with O'Reilly and Associates when looking for good UN*X books
(http://www.ora.com).  They have some of the best in-depth but easy to
understand books around.  They have at least one on TCP/IP.

If you decide to go with the Cisco and get it after we do,  give a shout
and we'll be glad to help.

-Gary Margiotta
TBE Internet Services
http://www.tbe.net