Date:      18 May 1996 09:55:21 +0200
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@simplex.nl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

>> On Fri, 17 May 1996 07:44:57 +0100, "Gary Palmer"
>> <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG> said:

  P> Peter Mutsaers wrote in message ID
  P> <87loisb709.fsf@plm.simplex.nl>:
  >> But the newer versions are quite a bit faster. I used to use Linux
  >> until recently and it uses 2.7.2 for everything, so it must be
  >> possible for FreeBSD too. It is a pity to ignore such easy performance
  >> gain.

  P> It's POSSIBLE. Just a LOT of work to ensure that any new 2.7.x
  P> ``features'' (read: bugs) don't cause problems for the LARGE ammount
  P> of code in FreeBSD (Remember, the /usr/src is on the order of 120Mb's
  P> ...)

  P> It's about the only advantage to the way Linux is packaged (i.e. the
  P> kernel is one bit, and you put the rest of what you want around
  P> it). It's a lot less work for it to be migrated to a new
  P> compiler, as the rest of the bits don't NECESSARILY have to be
  P> moved at the same time to using the same compiler version.

But usuaaly with a new compiler version at least libc and the kernel
are recompiled using it. So it makes not much difference.

  P> Since it is likely that there will be ANOTHER release of GCC before
  P> 2.2 is out the door (and well before the code freeze starts) I'd
  P> probably be more inclined to wait a while and take the new compiler
  P> (2.7.3 I believe) if that is the road that is chosen.

I agree that if 2.7.3 appears soon that has all bugfixes from the
intermediate (2.7.2.x) versions it is better to wait.

Peter Mutsaers       |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |     "Quod licet bovis,
plm@simplex.nl       |  the Netherlands    |      non licet Jovi."