Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:16:30 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Perl version in package prefix?

Hi,

What do people think about making a PERL_PKGNAMEPREFIX analogous to
PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX?  From bsd.python.mk:

# PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX: Use this as a ${PKGNAMEPREFIX} to distinguish
#                       packages for different Python versions.
#                       default: py${PYTHON_SUFFIX}-

This allows people to have multiple copies of, say,
ports/security/py-openssl installed, one for each version of python they
are supporting.  For python 2.2, the package name is py22-openssl, for
python 2.1, it is py21-openssl.  This has been incredibly useful for me
on environments where both python 2.1 and python 2.2 have been required.

I believe it'll work similarly well with perl due to the similar
major.minor versioning in the library paths. I had a number of problems
when trying out system perl with "separate" perl 5.8 for testing,
because I had modules for system perl installed, and perl 5.8 couldn't
find the module, but the ports system wouldn't let me install the
package because it was already installed.  If the package was
p58-Getopt-Long-2.32, it could co-exist with the p5-Getopt-Long-2.32
that the system perl needs.

Anyway, it would probably take a while to get this done for all the
ports, but I'd like to know whether pepole think this is a good idea.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@mithrandr.moria.org