Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:55:51 +0100
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Mikkel Christensen <mikkel@talkactive.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suexec with Apache 1.3.29

Mikkel Christensen wrote:

>On Monday 26 April 2004 21:49, Marty Landman wrote:
>

>>At 05:26 PM 4/26/2004, Mikkel Christensen wrote:
>>

>>>But it just never works.
>>>Execution of CGI works perfectly. But it keeps running as the www-user.
>>>

>>Sounds like suexec didn't get compiled into Apache, at least the one you're
>>running.
>>

>But in that case apache would complain the the User and Group keyword didn't exits. Just like it does with a non suexec installation.
>A webserver without suexec refuses to start if it encounters User or Group in the configuration.

One thing occurs to me - you are obviously using php. php scripts under
apache do not by default run as cgi under mod_php and so even with
suexec compiled successfully into your apache, these will still run as
the default apache user.

To alter this behaviour, you need to compile php to provide the cgi
version of the interpreter.

I posted a mail here a couple of months ago discussing this, because
there is then a problem if users, especially on a multi-homed system,
are using the non-cgi version of php. It is possible to have both, and
also the command line interpreter, but only with a little bit of
fiddling about.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-February/037878.html

PWR.