Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:35:21 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@osx.kode5.net>, Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Alexandr Kovalenko
<never@nevermind.kiev.ua> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Select US east coast or US west as your server. Pick at random or
>> pick the one closer to you.
>
> What if neither is close to me (there are other countries in the
> world, not only USA, some are even on the other side of the planet,
> btw, did you know?) ?

Yes, I am quite aware of it, but I am merely the messenger. Until
other subversion mirrors are made available in other parts of the
world, only the two in the US are available. I'm sure that will change
in time, but for the moment, only the two US mirrors have been
announced.

For now, if it is not clear which is closer, you can ping to see which
has the faster response. In my case, us-west is about 20 ms away while
us-east is 100. If you have a well connected server in another part of
the world, I assume the project would be happy to have another mirror
made available. Note that the full repository is quite large. There
are clearly security issues, too.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com