Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:36:59 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: desktops and mounting

Stefan KORONKA said on Jan  4, 2001 at 14:22:53:
> > From: Rahul Siddharthan
> >
> > Recently while setting up a FreeBSD machine for desktop use, and
> > watching linux users on their machines, it seemed to me that
> > everything that can be done on linux can be done equally easily on
> > FreeBSD -- except non-root mounting of removable media (like floppies,
> > CDROMs).  You can't allow user mounts simply by adding a "user" option
> > in /etc/fstab, and simple point-and-clicking in KDE/GNOME doesn't work
> > either.
>
> Yes, I am one of those who don't like to su every time I need to mount
> something.  So I did the following:
>
> chmod 4555 /sbin/mount*
> chmod 4555 /sbin/umount
>
> Read the chmod man page to see what that 4 bit means.  You can do the same
> for all the utilities who need root access.  In order to improve security,
> you can something like:
>
> chgrp somegroup mount*
> chmod 4550 mount*
>
> and add your users to the "somegroup" group.

Interesting.  Now that I look and see, the mount program is already
suid on linux systems.  However, won't doing this mean that an arbitrary
user can mount/dismount any filesystem, not just the CDROM?  (linux
has the "user" option in /etc/fstab which is required for non-root
mounting.)

Thanks

Rahul.