Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 95 17:16:32 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= aka)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org, harry@hgac.com, jkh@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: dial up at > 9600 baud

> >I guess I still don't understand how the modem magically detects
> >the port speed when the port sets the baud before it says anything
> >(like "login: ").
>
> I don't know details, but modem is able to determine local
> interface speed, maybe during initial connect handshake.
> If modem stays in automatic connect rate selection, it never
> connects on speed which is greater its local serial interface speed.

Well, know the details before changing the code. 8-).

The only *possible* way this cruft would be necessary is if the modem
keeps DCD asserted, ignores DTR, or there is a driver error.

Or the modem implements the RS232 external clock signal... and you
can fix that by not passing the signal on the cable.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.