Date:      Fri, 20 May 2022 19:56:41 -0500
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Toomas Soome <tsoome@me.com>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Zpool with latest feature com.delpfix:head_errlog can not be booted from.

Can you let me know when a replacement binary is available for EFI?  I
have my buildbox/dev system in a non-bootable
state.  It's RAIDZ-1 pool, and no place to put another disk.

Thanks for any help.
(If <someone> can email the replacement binary that would be wonderful).

On 05/20/2022 4:47 am, Toomas Soome wrote:
> I’ll see into it. It would be nice to have at least heads up message
> about such features, or zfs code does have means to block feature
> upgrade on boot pool.
>
> Rgds,
> Toomas
>

>> On 20. May 2022, at 11:39, Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I did upgrade my FreeBSD Current and with that i updated my storage
>> pool and my zroot pool.
>> I did add the new gptboot code on the disk. After the reboot i can not
>> boot anymore.
>>
>> So i did reinstall the os on one disk of the old zroot mirror pool and
>> did leave the second untouched.
>>
>> Then i can import the pools.
>> If i boot with the latest snapshot ISO
>> (FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20220519-716fd348e01-255696-disc1.iso) i
>> see the following when i boot.
>>
>> BIOS drive A: is fd0
>> BIOS drive B: is fd1
>> <SNAP>
>> BIOS drive K: is disk9
>> ZFS: unsupported feature: com.delpfix:head_errlog
>> ZFS: pool zroot is not supported
>> ZFS: unsupported feature: com.delpfix:head_errlog
>> ZFS: pool storage is not supported
>> BIOS 624kB/2000420kB available memory
>>
>> Then the OS is loaded, if i then go to the shell of the installer and
>> do a zpool import, ik can import the pool zroot and storage. So this
>> snapshot has the latest ZFS version with the com.delpfix:head_errlog
>> feature. So it looks like the bootloader is not able to use the new
>> feature and thus renders your system unbootable.
>>
>> regards
>> Johan

Phone: +1 214-642-9640                 E-Mail: ler@lerctr.org
US Mail: 5708 Sabbia Dr, Round Rock, TX 78665-2106