Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2022 12:32:22 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jaskaran Veer Singh <lists@jaskaran.org>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        postmaster@freebsd.org

Le 18 juin 2022 07:30:08 GMT+02:00, Jaskaran Veer Singh <lists@jaskaran=2E=
org> a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:
>Adding to that, I'd love to see mailing list name automatically preprende=
d to
>the subject line=2E It helps with quickly knowing what list the message i=
s from=2E
>Other mailing lists (not FreeBSD) that I follow have this feature=2E
>
>Opinions?
>
>--
>Jaskaran

No we won t ever do that as it breaks dkim signatures and make many email =
going through our mailing marked as spam or we have to setup complexe thing=
s forcing us to recrut=C3=A9 the from field to be from @freebsd=2Eorg

You can do filtering on list-id or some MUA can highlight the list-id if t=
hey need to

Bapt

>On Sat Jun 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM EDT, Ian Smith wrote:
>> Hi folks,  cc: postmaster@
>>
>> I've been partly keeping up with questions@ online the last year or so,=
 through the change from pipermail to mlmmj and attendant loss of functiona=
lity, but still quite usable=2E

>> Until a week or two ago, when the latest radical change has completely =
broken the ability to smoothly traverse the latest or any previous month's =
messages when read By Thread, namely:

>> Instead of linking messages to next and previous messages in thread, th=
ere are only (possibly multiple) Reply links, and Reply To links back, but =
no "next / previous message in thread" links, which a) allowed full travers=
al of all messages in the thread, and b) moving on to the next thread after=
 the last one=2E

>> As it's recently been changed to, you have to choose, one at a time, wh=
ich 'sub-thread' to view, at the end of which you're stuck=2E  Unless you h=
it 'back' through that sub-thread to the first and then select the next Rep=
ly, which is very tedious on slow connections=2E

>> Worse, there's no way, as before, to view the whole list again from whe=
re you're up to, to choose another such rabbithole, but you're thrown back =
to the very top of the list, having to page down to find your place again=
=2E

>> The only other option is to press 'back' after reading each message, wh=
ere you at least can pick the next message from index, also tedious=2E

>> If that doesn't make sense, try for yourself:
>>
>> https://lists=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/archives/freebsd-questions/2022-June/inde=
x=2Ehtml

>> Try the thread(s)
>>
>>         "OT: typing with broken arm"
>>
>> and try reading (or skimming) all messages in that thread=2E
>>
>> So, can this please be restored to how it was, not with pipermail (sadl=
y) but at least to where it was a couple of weeks ago?

>> If so, I have some on-topic questions, but I must subscribe without ema=
il delivery until I get a machine going=2E