Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:51:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        jrh@it.uc3m.es (Juan Fco Rodriguez Hervella)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to increase TCP and UDP buffers (for IPv4/IPv6)

> Hi:
>
> It's possible to increase the TCP and UDP buffers ?
>
> I've had problems with UDP packets of 64 bytes discarded with a bandwith
> of 2-3 Mbits, using a FreeBSD-4.3 router in a link of 10 Mbits.

a router does not buffer through traffic in a socket buffer (which is
what "TCP and UDP buffers" are) but on the interface queues and ipintrq,
which are typically 50 packets.
If this is the case you should see ipintrq drops listed
with

	sysctl net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops

and you could try to increase the size of that queue with something like

	sysctl -w net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=100

	cheers
	luigi