Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:39:40 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joaquin Menchaca <linuxuser@finnovative.net>
Subject:   Re: HELP: how to enable telnet?

On Monday 17 January 2005 01:24 pm, Joaquin Menchaca
<linuxuser@finnovative.net> wrote:
> Glenn Sieb wrote:
> > Joaquin Menchaca said the following on 1/17/2005 4:01 PM:
> >> Just some questions about telnet.  I just installed FreeBSD.  I
> >> want to setup so that I can telnet into it and do some work on it
> >> (as it'll be the server for the house)
> >
> > Telnet is a highly insecure solution. It has generally been
> > replaced with ssh (Secure SHell).
>
> Hi.  Then how can I get SSH working?  I can use this.  My target
> client platform now is Mac OS X, so interoperability between FreeBSD
> and Mac OS X is smoother.

ssh is included in the base install. You can either enable it through
your /etc/rc.conf:

sshd_enable="YES"

... or you can start it by: /etc/rc.d/sshd start

You should read up on this before you use it, as you want to decide what
sort of authentication you need. The handbook has some documentation,
as well as man ssh, man sshd, man ssh-agent, etc.

> However, later I want to use Windows XP/2K3.  They have decent ssh
> client support through tools like putty, but I don't know any good
> sshd solution on Windows.

I don't know if installing a new OS is an option, but any home Windows
OS pre-2000 is not secure in the first place (i.e., ME, 98, 95). I
would not use any of them if security is a consideration.

BTW, PuTTY works very well, as does installing Cygwin so you can use its
tools (though that is a bit overkill, maybe).

> Windows can secure insecure applications through through IPSec.  This
> might be similar to kerberorized tools in Solaris and stunnel for
> others.  Eventionally, I want to play with them all, feret out which
> ones are painful, which ones are the best, and what ones work between
> platforms (linux vs. solaris vs. freebsd vs macos vs windows). :->
>
> One complaint I've heard with SSH though is that bad stuff can still
> get through a firewall, such as a downloading of a known
> trojan/virus, can cannot get stripped out.  Whereas, SSL could
> potentially get stipped out.

Well, ssh assumes you know what you're doing, as it just provides a
secure mechanism. You can tunnel it, though.

> Anyways, I'm far from that point yet.  I just need some sort of
> access into the box.  I'm behind a firewall.

You should probably open up a port for ssh if you can, and if I were you
I'd configure ssh to use a high-numbered port instead of the default -
open up this same port on your firewall for tcp, preferably with
stateful inspection.

- jt