Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 21:29:15 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boot banner (securing FreeBSD)

Hmmm....

I still don't think it's going to be possible unless you remove the floppy and
padlock the case...

I've seen some 'mean' floppy-drive locks though (not like the usual plastic
affairs) which might make it more feasable just to lock the drive up...

As for getting round the security with 2 disks, well you can do it with 1 for
NT, and I seem to remember being able to boot the old SCO system I used to run
off a floppy - and then mount the root filesystems etc. (though it wasn't
running C2 trusted)...

You could always set a BIOS password on the machine, make sure the case is
very well secured (back to padlock again) - and disable the machine booting
from the Floppy drive - which at least leaves it free for usage once booted?

Regards,

Kp