Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 03:48:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > 	Hmmm, what about machines in terms like SUN's, HP's will the P90
> > compare to since the Alpha is a fast machine.
>
> Depends lots on what you're doing with them; in a straight line, the P90
> is pretty quick, but what you put around it largely determines how it will
> perform in an applications context.  (Especially memory/cache/disk)

	Hmmm, I see what you mean.  Somehow it seems a P590 can handle 20 users
doing the same things as a SUN SparcStation 20 alot easier than the SUN can.

> >> Anyone who does big models of any sort uses huge amounts of memory,
> >> as Rod already observed.
> >
> >	That's true but who would actually need a gig of ram?
>
> In one of my looking-for-work periods, I did some time as a CAD operator
> for the local telephone company, feeding all of their cabling details
> into a mixed oracle/GDS database.
>
> We were using Decstations (mostly /133's) with 64M of core and ~500M of
> swap.  They used to thrash horribly whenever you moved around the suburb,
> and often ran out of swap.  The database admin machine had 128M of core
> and several GB of swap (for working in larger areas, obviously).
>
> Ahh, fond memories... whenever you wanted a 5 min. break, a surreptitions
> ^\ in the GDS window kept your supervisor scurrying 8) (And none of them
> ever worked it out ... )
>
> Anyway, this is rather off-topic 8)

	Oh, I see what you mean now since CAD does require alot =)

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center