Date:      Fri, 30 May 1997 13:08:01 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        dima@irs.riga.lv (Dmitry Solodov)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help needed: fdisk troubles

In a previous message, Dmitry Solodov said:
> Hello,
>
> Partition Information
> Name          Status               Access           FS Type          MBytes

>               None                : Primary         FreeSpace           7
> Merlin        Bootable           F: Logical         HPFS             1019
>               None               G: Logical         HPFS              517
>               None               H: Logical         Unformatted       502
>

> When FreeBSD fdisk is run through Novice installation, it shows for the
> same disk ( /dev/sd2)

> Disk geometry: 261 cyls/255 heads/ 63 sectors = 4192965 sectors
> 0 	16065	16064	-	6	unused		0
> 16065 	4176900	4192964	sd2s1	4	extended	5
> 4192965 1339 	4194303	- 	6	unused		0
>
> So for me it seems like FreeBSD fdisk sees all the extended partitions as one
> big partition.

An extended partition IS just one big partition. Logical partitions are
inside the extended partition.

> The approach when free space is left on the disk, and then the partition is
> created with FreeBSD fdisk does not work for me, as in this case primary
> partition is created. But FreeBSD boots fine in the case.

Sorry, that's how it goes. FreeBSD must have it's one real partition.

--
" 'Eisteddfod' is an old Welsh word from the old Welsh.  It comes from
 two words: 'eistedd' meaning 'bored' and 'fod' meaning 'stiff'."