Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 23:48:26 +0200
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ahc driver problem, or hardware?

When booting my IBM 330, 32Mb, Adaptec 2940UW with IBM 1Gb UW disk on a set
of FreeBSD floppies (Tried both 3.1-RELEASE, 4.0-CURRENT 19990421), I get
the following set of errors from my Adaptec controller:

I didnīt want to spend all night writing this down, but it basicly just
cycles when reaching ID 15. Only real difference is the changing ID in the
line "(probe0:ahc0:0:0:0):"

======= handwritten dmesg :) =======
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(probe0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,
SEQADDR == 0x18a

(probe0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queing a BDR SCB

later on comes:

ahc0: Issued aChannel A Bus Reset. 15 SCBs aborted

then we go on to ID 4:
(probe0:ahc0:0:4:0): SCB 0xc - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1,
SEQADDR == 0x18a

And I also get:

(probe0:ahc0:0:4:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
======================

Some times it goes from ID0 to ID1 to ID2 to ID3 and so on. Other times it
goes from ID0 to ID2 to ID3, and
above it went from ID0 to ID4 ????

The controller finds the disk OK when booting, I checked the termination,
thereīs no conflict (no other cards in the machine), and its the only SCSI
device attached to the card.

I checked the controllers configuration agains one of my friends, who has
absolutely no problems
with his 2940 (also running 4.0-CURRENT on a clone PC). This controller has
been used in a NT for atleast a year, so it should work just fine.

I also tried removing the SCSI disk, so nothing was attached to the
controller, no difference.

This is what my controller gives me of info when being probed/loaded:

ahc0: <Adaptec 1940 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs