Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 18:27:11 -0200
From:      Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        James Holtom <jholtom@netforce.net>, Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wdc1 problem

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 12:52:32PM +0000, James Holtom wrote:

> > > No! It's enabled!
> > > I can use the hard drive in the secondary IDE from any other OS, like
> > > Linux and/or Win98, only freebsd is giving me problem.
> > >
> > > CAn you help me?
> >
> > Not personally, except to add an extra voice as suffering exactly the
> > same problem. ie FreeBSD cannot see the second controller, but
> > Win95[spit] has no problem. (Using an ABIT BH6 rev1.0)
> >

> OK, try putting the CD-ROM drive on the secondary channel. The
> ATAPI standard includes rules as to allowable configurations. A
> common one is that an ATAPI device should not be a slave without
> a master. Many systems ship with the CD as the secondary slave but
> no secondary master (HD or CD) which causes problems to FreeBSD,
> moving the device to the secondary master solves the problem. Just
> because Windows supports "illegal" configurations doesn't make them
> right.
>
> So, Gustav, move your CD to the secondary slave with your 2 HDs as
> primary and secondary master or put both HDs on the primary channel
> and the CD as secondary master. James, if you've only got a CD on
> the secondary channel make sure it's jumpered as master, not slave.

Thanks all you!
The problem is that using a device in the secondary slave without a
prior one in the secondary master violates ATA def. All i did to solve
it: jumpe it to master.

Things work great here!

--
Message of the day:

    The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was.