Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:43:50 +0200
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng suggestion: renaming /usr/sbin/pkg to /usr/sbin/pkg-bootstrap

--------------enigD9236123771117E0EDDE850C

On 31-08-2012 14:22, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 08:10:50AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>>>
>>> I like the idea of also providing a self-installing package, and it s=
eems really
>>> easy to do, so I'll try to see what I can do in this area I'll wrote =
a PoC in 5
>>> minutes which looks pretty good, this could also be a very simple and=
 easy way
>>> to integrate into bsdinstaller.
>>>
>>> I'll do work in that direction.
>>>
>>> Still it doesn't solve the problem of boostrapping pkgng in a fresh n=
ew box,
>>> because the user may not know where to download the pkg-setup.sh.
>>
>> I do think that is something bsdinstall should be able to handle, and =
I would
>> certainly want bsdinstall to include a dialog that says "do you want t=
o install
>> the package manager?"
>=20
> Of course this is being worked on by dteske@ on his bsdconfig scripts, =
so yes in
> anycase the bsdinstaller will end up with a boostrap dialog to install =
pkgng.

Something else I thought of, you can't assume there's a working internet
connection during installation. And also, even if there is a connection, =
can
you guarantee that the downloaded pkg supports the packages on the dvd fo=
the lifetime of the release?

I really think you should just do vendor imports of pkg in base and inclu=
de
pkg on the dvd. There's no bootstrap problem then and the dvd is nicely
self-contained. It also shouldn't be a problem to keep the official pkg r=
epo
for that release compatible with it. Just keep using the same version of =
pkg
to create the repo.

You've been able to develop and introduce pkgng without breaking older
releases which shows having pkg tools tied to releases was never a proble=
m.
All that was needed was to move pkg development outside base. You should =
be
able to do pkg 2.0 development in the same way. And when that new version=

is ready you import betas and release candidates in head and use current
users as testers, just like is done with clang.

In this scenario the ports tree needs to keep support for older releases,=

but that's a consequence of the fact that there's only one ports tree for=

all releases. Somewhere in between the ports and the various releases the=
re
has to be some form encapsulation, not just for pkg, but for all the tool=
used by the ports tree. Given how the ports tree currently encapsulates
both the old and new pkg tools I don't see how supporting multiple versio=
ns
of pkgng would be a problem because presumably the difference between pkg=
ng
versions is going to be much smaller than the difference between the old
and new tools.