Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:24:59 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't start X Windows

On Sunday 26 August 2001 11:32 pm, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> I am sorry to say this but you _really_ have to go through the paces with
> xfree86config to generate an XF86Config whose details you're sure of. That
> file will be in /etc/X11/

if xf86cfg will run, it will give you a graphical interface similar to
xf86setup on 3.3.6 (unless you are running Xfree86 3.3.6?  That is the
default for FreeBSD still, but IIANM Xfree86 -configure is a 4.1 feature).
When I first installed XFree 4.0.2, using the binaries from xfree86.org, it
worked fine.  When I reinstalled my system from scratch, and used the ports
version, to gain the benefits of locally compiling stuff, it doesn't run.  I
have heard of it failing to run for others, as well, but I have heard from
lots of people that it DOES run for them.  The best I can say is, try it
first, then use xf86configure if that fails.

> login as root then type

xf86cfg

if that fails, then type:

> xf86config