Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: DAT tape problems

> From: Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
>
> I just attempted to read back a dump from a DAT tape to test our backup
> strategy and disturbingly, the file which read back from the tape was
> corrupted.  The directory was intact but when the dump was extracted,
> there was a checksum error on one file and when comparing the extracted
> tree with the original, at least one file had been corrupted.
> My DAT drive probes as a 'WangDAT Model 3400DX' and it is set to use
> compression.  Does anyone have an idea what is happening?

I am using one here with success and have not seen this problem.  I have
been using it since the first snap (not on 2.0R).

I am running 3/22 snap now, not -current.

I have noticed a problem with the last file on the tape.  Could this be
what you are seeing?  I have placed a dummy file as the last file to be
backed up to get around this issue.

My controller is a BT946C.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger