Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:51:30 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Saulius Menkevicius <bob@nulis.lt>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi fan does not lower speed when CPU temp is back to low

on 20.09.2004 14:38 Saulius Menkevicius said the following:
> Is there a way to find why the ACPI code does not lower
> CPU fan speed when temperature drops back to low (as set in BIOS)?
> It does turn the speed to 100% when temperature gets high.
>
> Can it be a buggy BIOS ACPI? Though it's working fine in Windows.
>
> The motherboard is Abit IS7, desktop with a P4 2.4C.
> Running 5.3-BETA4.

turning fans on/off is done by OS (kernel), but it is done
through calling ACPI methods, so the problem can be in either place.
Try to take dump of your ACPI DSDT (using acpidump) and look for FAN
device section in there. You can post it to the list or send to me in
private.
If you are ineterested, you can also google for ACPI specs and download
them, they are not very hard to comperehend (but bulky).

--
Andriy Gapon