Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:35:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rwatson@sidwell.edu (Robert Watson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: file system full for uid 0 -- doesn't update on file delete

This should have been asked in 'questions', not 'hackers'.

Robert Watson stands accused of saying:
> When I came back, I found that the ppp logs in /var/logs had filled my
> root partition (6 megs of log files for two days?) and I had a long
> series of log messages saying so.  I couldn't figure out at first where
> my space had gone -- did a du -x, etc, and eventually found the offending
> file -- I deleted the ppp.log file -- ppp was still running.  while du

Did you bother to look at the files first?

> My afterthoughts were.. ;).  I shoud have killed ppp, as I assume that
> the file was being kept open, so the space wasn't being released for some
> reason (I'm not familiar with the guts of FreeBSD's file handling.)  ppp

This is standard Unix behaviour.

> resulting in a halt in the installation or not..  Also, since df and du
> reported different disk consumption and such, while I'm not suggesting
> either individual behavior is wrong, consistenc is very nice.  Also I

DF tells you how much disk space is allocated/free, du tells you how
much space the files in a directory heirachy use.  The two are
perfectly consistent; you're just not using them properly.  A deleted
file that is still open still exists on the disk, but not in the directory
heirachy.

> Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[