Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:45:26 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        marcus@freebsd.org
Subject:   portlint suggest the use of undocumented macros

>Submitter-Id:	current-users
>Originator:	Fernan Aguero
>Organization:	IIB-UNSAM
>Confidential:	no
>Synopsis:	portlint suggest the use of undocumented macros
>Severity:	non-critical
>Priority:	low
>Category:	ports
>Class:		doc-bug
>Release:	FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

FreeBSD pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar 4.10-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE #0: Wed May 26 12:56:43 ART 2004 fernan@pi.iib.unsam.edu.ar:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PI  i386

	Upon running portlint -a I get messages like the following:
	WARN: /home/fernan/.../pkg-plist [21]: consider using DOCSDIR macro
	WARN: /home/fernan/.../pkg-plist: %%PORTDOCS%%@dirrm %%DOCSDIR%% is missing

	The use of these macros is not documented in the Porter's
	Handbook, nor on the portlint(1) man page.

	A Google search only gets me example cases where it is used, but
	no explanation of where are this macros defined. The only
	described expansions documented in pkg_create(1) (the place
	where the packing list format is documented) are %F, %D, %B, and
	%f.

	I'm sending copies to the portlint maintainer (also one of its
	authors), and to docs@.