Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:45:54 +0000
From:      Lee MATTHEWS <Lee.MATTHEWS.external@stormshield.eu>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   BINIT and BERR signals in MCA

--_000_4bd3e1017a104598ab92e658f25b5367stormshieldeu_

Hello,

One of our clients is experiencing problems using one of our products. It r=
uns FreeBSD 11.3 on an Intel Atom Apollo Lake E3930 two core SoC processor.

Occasionally, under very light load, the kernel will panic. I've managed to=
 get a couple of vmcores and I notice via the backtrace that the MCA interr=
upt is called.

I've managed to recover two vmcores and I notice in both of them that the I=
nter-Processor Interrupts are not being transferred from one CPU to the oth=
er. I've also noticed that the structure mca_internal contains information =
concerning the state of the MCA status register (value : 0x9000000020000003=
) for bank 0.

>From Intel's software architecture document, the MCA Error Code is 0x0003 "=
The BINIT# from another processor caused this processor to enter machine ch=
eck." and the Model Specific Error Code is 0x2000 "1 if BERR is driven."

The Intel document is not clear; could anyone please explain what the BINIT=
 and BERR signals mean? They appear to be related to a bus, but I'm not sur=
e which one. A bus external to the Atom SoC or one of the internal buses wi=
thin the Atom SoC?

Do you have any ideas of what could generate this type of error? Is it like=
ly a hardware or a software issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,
Lee Matthews

--_000_4bd3e1017a104598ab92e658f25b5367stormshieldeu_

<head>
1">
n-bottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
r: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif, &quot;EmojiFo=
nt&quot;, &quot;Apple Color Emoji&quot;, &quot;Segoe UI Emoji&quot;, NotoCo=
lorEmoji, &quot;Segoe UI Symbol&quot;, &quot;Android Emoji&quot;, EmojiSymb=
ols;">
One of our clients is experiencing problems using one of our products. It r=
uns FreeBSD 11.3 on an Intel Atom Apollo Lake E3930 two core SoC processor.=
Occasionally, under very light load, the kernel will panic. I've managed to=
 get a couple of vmcores and I notice via the backtrace that the MCA interr=
upt is called.<br>
I've managed to recover two vmcores and I notice in both of them that the I=
nter-Processor Interrupts are not being transferred from one CPU to the oth=
er. I've also noticed that the structure mca_internal contains information =
concerning the state of the MCA
 status register (value : 0x9000000020000003) for bank 0. <br>
>From Intel's software architecture document, the MCA Error Code is 0x0003 &=
quot;The BINIT# from another processor caused this processor to enter machi=
ne check.&quot; and the Model Specific Error Code is 0x2000 &quot;1 if BERR=
 is driven.&quot;<br>
The Intel document is not clear; could anyone please explain what the BINIT=
 and BERR signals mean? They appear to be related to a bus, but I'm not sur=
e which one. A bus external to the Atom SoC or one of the internal buses wi=
thin the Atom SoC?<br>
Do you have any ideas of what could generate this type of error? Is it like=
ly a hardware or a software issue?<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>

--_000_4bd3e1017a104598ab92e658f25b5367stormshieldeu_--