Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 1995 00:14:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Stacey)
Cc:        karl@mcs.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cloning systems

> > Currently, I am dealing with ports and stuff by actually loading the
> > entire /usr/ports onto a box and then fudging around to get it to do a make
> > install (it still has the .install_done from previous machine).  That's a
> > major strike out for the current ports system - you could not share
> > /usr/ports via NFS, it would seem, for this reason.  (anyways - it's been a
> > major annoyance and lately I've started just compiling them all on each
> > box).
>
> Sorry it's not a strike out (whatever `strikeout' is ;-)
> It _is_ possible, I've done it,
> I had my visiting (& now gone) 386 nfs mount /usr/ports on my 486,
> then I just ran make -i reinstall on the 386., worked fine

Well, maybe that was misleading:  what I *want* to be able to do is to load
up /usr/ports/distfiles on one box, build a bunch of ports over in
/usr/local/src/ports/*/*, and then walk /usr/local/src/ports around to a lot
of boxes and do "make install" or whatever and have things installed without
the ridiculous apparent need for the "make install" target to see
/usr/ports/distfiles and try to checksum the files!

Many of my machines are in remote spots and/or are not directly
Internet-visible.  Most have limited disk space.  This means that NFS mounts
are not practical because the ports system will end up trying to retrieve
the files via NFS to checksum them *over slow network links*  :-(  which is
part of what I would like to avoid.  I have a few key systems that are
Internet-visible and building ports on these are great - they auto ftp
themselves and build themselves and it's really slick.  Now I wanna do the
same set of programs on my remote 386DX/40...  ok.. ftp over
/usr/local/src/ports.tar.gz and untar it on the fly on the remote end...
stop after every few packages because I don't have much disk space...  would
like to "make install" and "rm -fr" each package so as to have disk space...
but, no!  There's no /usr/ports/distfiles, even though the package is all
compiled and ready to go.  That is exasperating - even though I understand
the way it came to be this way.

I will look at the "reinstall" target (I have a machine to do tomorrow)...
all that's really needed is a target that depends only on ".build-done"..
maybe it's there and I just missed it (the source for bsd.ports.mk gave me a
headache when I tried to decipher it..)

Ah well  :-)  It's still a cool system...  and a hell of a great way for
folks to quickly get a system up, running, and usable quickly - as long as
one has everything accessible locally.  ;-)

... Joe