Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 20:49:11 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Determining Crash cause?

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:31:29AM -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Is there any known method to determine the cause of a crash
> when there is no panic, no log entries, or other evidence?
> Thought my wierdness about nightly crashes disapeared when I
> moved to -Stable, but I see its back.  About the only thing
> that changed from a previously very stable system was the fact
> that I started using different fonts for netscape via the xfstt
> and xfs font servers.  Hints anyone?

Build a kernel with debugging, connect a terminal (or pc running
Hyperterm or some other equivelant) to a serial port on the FreeBSD
box, configure for console port, set the Hyperterm to log and then
wait for the next crash.  See if anything useful is captured in the
log.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com