Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:39:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boneheaded Question

> It's almost too embarrassing to ask, but could somebody please clue me into
> how to properly configure FTP access?  I'm not running anonymous FTP, but
> have a couple MAC heads who need to upload some stuff to a web directory,
> but don't need shell accts.

You have a couple of choices.  You could enable anonymous ftp, or you could
create accounts for the Mac users but diallow shell access.  Most sites
would prefer the latter for security reasons.

I would create their accounts, and place them in a macuser group (so they
can have group write access to parts of the web tree.  I would assign them
a shell like /sbin/ftponly (note: this doesn't exist yet).  I would then
make a link from /sbin/nologin to /sbin/ftponly.  Then add /sbin/ftponly to
/etc/shells (so ftpd will allow them to connect).

At this point, the mac users can login via ftpd, but any attempt to start
a shell will result in a message like:

	"This account is currently not available."

This sounds like what you want.

Jon Doran