Date:      19 Nov 2002 21:25:26 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Glenn Becker <burningclown@burningclown.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: console, ssh and so on ...

Glenn Becker <burningclown@burningclown.com> writes:

> Anyhoo, the problem is: when I am in console and ssh into my mail box,
> the display (in Pine, which is what my ISP has ... I'd use Mutt
> otherwise) is a bit funky. Not sure what words to use to describe it,
> but messages "overlap" so that when it -appears- I am on one message, I
> am really on the next, and so on. I can sort things out by first
> down-arrowing over everything, but that's kind of a pain ... and it
> still leaves a few 'ghost' lines at the top of the screen.
>
> It would seem that the # of lines on the screen is off, or the terminal
> type is wrong, or something along those lines. I've flailed around with
> switching term types, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

No, it wouldn't -- if the server doesn't support your terminal type,
then it doesn't support your terminal type.  The easiest way around
the problem would probably be to actually run a different terminal
type.  I think this can most conveniently be done with screen, but
installing the vt100 console should help also.