Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 23:21:10 +0400
From:      Alexander Pronin <scher@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   [ GSOC ] Differences in shell behaviour

Hello everyone!
I am GSOC student at FreeBSD Project.
So my GSOC Project is "Parallelization in the ports collection".
You may checkout wiki page of this project: =
http://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2012/Parallelization_in_the_ports_coll=
ection

Is it suitable to write sh script for 9.0, that does not work in 8.3?

To sum up, the scenario is as following:
I need to spawn some processes in background to build port's =
dependencies.
Store their pids.
Wait for a while or do some stuff.
explore exit codes of spawned processes by their pids.

The problem is:
### sh in 8.3
$ false & pid=3D$!
$=20
[1]   Done (1)                false
$ wait ${pid}
wait: No such job: 4852

-----------------------
### sh in releng9
$ false & pid=3D$!
$=20
[1]   Done(1)                 false
$ wait ${pid}
$ echo $?
1
$

I am currently working in releng9 environment, so the result suits my =
needs.

But, is it suitable to write sh script for 9.0, that does not work in =
8.3?