Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 18:00:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      chad@anasazi.com (Chad R. Larson)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.8 Release

I tried to stay out of the discussion about whether a 2.1.8 release was
justified, but the last week's flurry of e-mail about lockups, memory
leaks and the continuing Adaptec controller adventures persuades me that
I'm not yet ready to commit my production machines to a 2.2.x release.

I also must admit I have found no use for the "live filesystem" CD-ROM
in my subscription.  I freely admit that might be different if I didn't
have a nice, full time (via MCI) connection to the 'net, but there you
have it.

That being said, here's what I'd prefer for my CD-ROM buying dollar.
Yes, please, make a 2.1.8 release.  I'm assuming it would be essentally
what I have now on machines using CVSup to track RELENG_2_1_0.  Drop the
live filesystem from the subscription set.  Ship 2.1.x and 2.2.x as the
two CDs in the subscription set.  When 3.0 graduates to release status,
right-shift one on the CDs, and ship 3.0.x and 2.2.x as the
subscription.

That is, make the subscription be current release, and mature
oldie-but-goodie.  Let the subscribers decide which they want to install
and run.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com