Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 23:55:23 +0200
From:      Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, delphij@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: openldap-server-2.3.24: default loglevel and	/var/log/debug.log

Thanks a lot.

> > It seems that the default loglevel is set to 256; correct?
> > Is this the default for openldap?
> > I've been grepping through the sources but was unable
> > to verify my hypothesis. How can I know the actual default loglevel?
>
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/slapdconfig.html#Configuration%20File%2
>0Directives
>
> Section 6.2.1.5:
>
>    "Default:
>
>       loglevel 256"
>
> So, Correct, yes.  However that loglevel records the activity of the
> server in about the same level of detail as you'ld hope to see from any
> other network server.
With no negative impact on performance for a loaded production server?
My /var/log/debug.log was already rotating every hour and the machine
is only in a testing phase.

> > Because slapd is logging through local4 and /etc/syslog.conf contains
> > *.=debug   /var/log/debug.log
> > the file is growing rapidly.
> >
> > Are these defaults recommended for a production server?
> > If not, what are the recommendations concerning slapd loglevel
> > and/or syslog.conf configuration?
>
> Having slapd write logs is certainly a good thing.  However it seems
> that your only choice of how to log what slapd does is via syslog using
> the LOG_LOCAL4 facility.  If the slapd logging is too voluminous and
> clogging up files that should show other logs, you can tell syslog not
> to include it.  Eg for your debug.log:
>
>     !-slapd
>     *.=debug               /var/log/debug.log

Actually I did
*.=debug;local4.none                            /var/log/debug.log
local4.debug                                     /var/log/slapd.log

But clearly /var/log/slapd.log is now rotating fast.
I'm using nss_ldap and a simple "id lacoste" generates more than 2 KB of logs.

I was considering keeping that setting for testing purposes and
either turn to local4.info in syslog.conf or set "loglevel=0" in slapd.conf
when in production. Is this a bad idea?

Regards,
Thierry.