Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:20:18 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        absinthe@pobox.com, Calvin Varney <calvin@varney.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port/package guidelines (Ant)

> Short-term, probably just ship it with a static build.xml.   Then I'd say
> once we get sophisticated enough with Ant, we can build an XML out of
> bsd.java.mk based on variables set in the Makefile.   Unless you think
> it's trivial enough to do the latter now.

It's trivial, *if* we knoiw exactly what we want. I intend to generate the
build.xml file using XSLT and I'm an XSLT Wizard(TM) by now :)

> "doc-install" target for those who want the JavaDocs built and installed.
> Other than that I can't think of any others (it may be too early in the
> day yet).

Then we still need to pass the installation directory for the docs, don't
we? Or how would we determine this in the build file?

> One thing not mentioned about Ant (often) is that it works great with
> CVS.  I was thinking that we could make "-devel" ports pull straight from
> CVS when available, instead of being locked in to a particular version.

Yeah, good point! We could even have -cvs ports in addition to the existing
-devel ports :-)

> > o How do we install any JAR files, source code, Javadoc API
> > documentation, etc in a standard manner?
>
> Destinations for everything has been defined based on our earlier
> discussions _except_ for source code.   I am assuming any source would be
> ${PREFIX}/src/${PORTNAME}/${PORTVERSION}.

Should the sources go below ${PREFIX}/src ? Need to check hier(7)...

> The real question is whether we want to have Ant run dependency checking
> instead of the pkg system.   I think we do, my opinion is to turn over as
> much of the functionality to Ant as possible.  The more it does the more
> effective it becomes.

Hmm, you're probably right. But then we need to pass a lot of variables to
the Ant build system. Perhaps either using -Dpropertyname=value or by
generating a .properties file...

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ