Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 16:11:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ardelean Gheorghe <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problems with FreeBSD on Alpha Server 2100, 5/250

Hi,

Thanks for the hints.

> Well, Timothy First from MSU loaned me his EV5 2100A (3 250MHz CPUs),
> so we should work on both EV4 and EV5 2100As in 4.3-RELEASE, as well
> as the well-tested EV4 2100.  But I'm not sure anybody has tested an
> EV5 2100 (note the lack of an "A").

First, I don't have a serial console to try but I removed the EISA Mylex
(it's an EISA as you can see from show config in my original
mail --- on the controller they claim KZESC-XB :) and even the video card
and I've replaced with a PCI S3 Virge card but it does not work (the same
error message, the same address and so on).

I removed the 3 extra CPU'S (left inside only one) and I was playing
around with the two memory boards (combinations between memory boards and
CPU boards) but no result. Yes the CPU boards are EV5 CPU Boards!

So this is an EV5 Alpha Server 2100 5/250 (aka Alpha Server 2100
Model 500MP).

I don't have access to the True64 discs until next Monday (so I wait 2
days to test if the hardware is good).

> I think this will probably require me building test kernels &
> interacting heavily with Ardelean Gheorghe, unless it turns out to be
> a hardware problem.

I am a 386BSD/FreeBSD user and administrator since the
first 386BSD then I switched to FreeBSD (1.1.5). So I know a little bit
and I like to help somehow the Project. If you think I can help
building/installing test kernels on our system I am willing to do so. I'd
like to see FreeBSD running on this system (even without support for the
EISA Mylex powered Storage Works RAID). I have built hundreds of kernels
on i386 and a few on an Alpha Station 200. I have some programming
experience also.

Best regards,

Gheorghe ARDELEAN (Johny)

| Fraunhofer Institut fuer Integrierte Schaltungen  |
| Bereich Bauelementetechnologie IIS-B              |
| Schottky str. 10                                  |
| D-91058 Erlangen, Germany                         |
| Tel. +49-(0)9131-761252                           |
| Email: ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de                |
|     gheorghe.ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de          |