Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:43:52 +0100
From:      Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr@gmail.com>
To:        rank1seeker@gmail.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE and friends, from 'make.conf' benchmark

On 12/5/11, rank1seeker@gmail.com <rank1seeker@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've took machine and installed binary FreeBSD(amd64 8.2-p4 GENERIC) on i=
t.
> Then I've installed 'benchmarks/unixbench' port.
>
> So everything is a default generic binary install ('make.conf' empty - no
> CPU optimization flags)
>
> After running: '# time unixbench', final score was:
>     394.2
> Completed in 22.8 min
>

> Then I've recompiled everything, from src, world and kernel, with
> 'make.conf':
> --
> CPUTYPE?=3Dcore2
> CFLAGS+=3D-march=3Dnative
> NO_CPU_CFLAGS=3Dyes
> COPTFLAGS+=3D-march=3Dnative
> NO_CPU_COPTFLAGS=3Dyes
> --
>
> After reboot, I've run: '# time unixbench', final score was:
>     313.5
> Completed in 26.7 min
>
> I'm getting worse result, with optimized FreeBSD's binaries?!?
> How come?

What is the test environment?

All tests running after a reboot? (if not, then do...)

Run all test in single user, when freebsd reboots, after the system
become up, than we have a running bgfsck (fixme).

And run the tests in multiple time, example with make.conf setting 5X
and without make.conf setting 5X.