Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:50:53 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with 4.4-RELEASE

Hello,

Today i have upgraded my laptop Dell Inspiron 3500 from
4.3-RELEASE to 4.4-RELEASE

Good news is that the pcic works with interrupts routed to PCI
and shared. Bad news is that my onboard soundcard does not work
anymore.

The only way to get it recognized (since 4.3-RELEASE, previously and
since 3.* it worked perfectly with the line
device         pcm0 at isa? irq 5 drq 0 flags 0x11 in kernel config)
is to put
options PNPBIOS
device          pcm
in the config file. No way to use the module snd_neomagic or snd_pcm,
either in loader.conf or afterwards, it will not be recognized, with or
without options PNPBIOS.

But while it worked correctly at 4.3, it is now recognized but the sound
channel is dead.

Here are the boot messages
chip1: <NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AX Audio controller> ...irq 11 at device 0.1 on
pci1

Note that pcic0, pcic1 and the network pcmcia card all end up on IRQ 11.

pcm0: <Neomagic 256AV (non-ac97)> at port
0x220-0x22f,0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38f,0x320-0x321 irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0

And /dev/sndstat

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Sep 28 2001 15:15:33
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Neomagic 256AV (non-ac97)> at io 0x530 irq 5 drq 0:1 (1p/1r/0v channels
duplex)

All this perfectly fine. But as soon as i play a file:

pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

Of course i have run MAKEDEV snd0

Another killer problem: as soon as i unload the ipfilter module (ipl.ko)
the machine immediately reboots. I have seen that on two machines.
But i have separately compiled ipf.ko from the version 3.4.14 which
accepts perfectly to be loaded and unloaded.
IP Filter: v3.4.14 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled
IP Filter: v3.4.14 unloaded
Moreover as far as i can see the rules in /etc/ipf.rules are not
correctly obeyed by the ipf which comes with 4.4-RELEASE, a lot of packets
are blocked and logged which should pass by a previous quick rule. Of course
my rules have the intended effect with the 3.4.14 version of ipf.ko.
I have been informed by a friend that he also has severe problems with
ipfilter, and that he knows someother guy with the same troubles.
I suspect that something nasty is in the version of ipfilter coming with
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.

--
Michel Talon