Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:50:39 +0100
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetchindex questions.

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On 2004.11.24 07:26:39 -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:08:55AM +0100, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> > >=20
> > > What other choices are there?
> >=20
> > Actually the uncompressed INDEX file is distributed to all FreeBSD web
> > mirrors.  It will of course not be as up-to-date as the one on
> > www.FreeBSD.org, but since it should still not be more than 24 hours
> > old, it probably won't be a problem for most people.
>=20
> OK, we'd originally talked about only having it on www.freebsd.org.

Well, it has actually been there for the last 5 years from a quick
look at cvsweb - it just hasn't been up-to-date before /ports/ started
to use "your" updated INDEX file.

For some reason INDEX (not INDEX-5) is being installed in the /ports/
directory on the web server, which is then mirrored.  I noticed this
not too long ago in the log for my local cvsup mirror.

Since INDEX does not change much most of the time it has probably not
been a problem, even though INDEX is now much larger than 5 years ago.
I don't know if we should use the INDEX file on the web mirrors, but
unless we explicitly remove INDEX it is a possibility.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--