Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:58:42 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        accent@goodnet.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP Installing 2.1.5 with a ATAPI CD-Rom

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 accent@goodnet.com wrote:

> I have a Teac 58e 8X cd-rom on my primary IDE controller set up as master
> and can not get version 2.1.5 to recognize my cd-rom.  Has anyone figured
> out how this can be done??
>
> My sytem is:
>
> Pentium 133 mhz
> 16 meg Ram
> Adaptec AHA 2940 SCSI controller
> HP 2.0 gig SCSI hard drive
> 32 AWE PNP Soundblaster
> Matrox Millenium 2 meg WRAM
> 28.8 U.S. Robotics Sporster Voice Modem (Internal)
> HP T1000 Tape Backup (Internal)
> Teac Floppy Drive 3.5 in
> Teac 58e 8X CD-Rom
> Intel 430HX Motherboard with PCI Bus
>
> I have not found anything on the newsgroups or in the text files that would
> assist me.

AFAIK ATAPI CD-ROMS normally work just as slaves. This is a bit of bad
news for you since you don;t have a hard disk to act as the CD-ROM's
master. The best advice I can give you is one of two:
1. Get a SCSI CDROM
2. Get an IDE disk (doesn't matter which, it can be a piece of scrap
metal that speaks IDE) and put it as the master. Configure the CDROM to
be the slave of that. However, I think booting will be a bit complex in
that setup (having an IDE and a SCSI disk). Look around in the archives,
but I think disabling the IDE drive in the BIOS should make your machine
continue booting off the SCSI disk, and once it's up, both IDE devices
(the disk and CDROM) will be visible.

I have no specific experience with Teac CD-ROMS, we only have Creative
Labs' here, though I guess that's pretty much the same, unless the Teac
is known not to work in any case.

Nadav