Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 21:07:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Jamil J. Weatherbee) <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   RE: BIOS information preservation (was Re: >64MB)

Hi Mike Smith;  On 01-Nov-97 you wrote:
> > Work on calling BIOS calls via VM86().  Get that working, and
> > dozens of people will be happy to correct the problem for you.
>
>  I'm doing that today (but screwed because I'm out of paper and *&^%*&^
>  Micorosoft post Word documents and pretend that they're RTF, so I can't
>  *read* the suckers).  (*)
>
>  Anyone likely to complain if I add a new datastructure to i386/bios.c
>  and
>  start populating it with stuff that various parts of the system glean
>  about the BIOS environment?  Or should I be using a procedural lookup
>  interface for this?
>
>  eg. either:
>
>       foo = i386biosinfo->bios_memsize;
>
>  or
>
>       error = i386biosinfo("memsize", &foo)

Either way, I'd love it.  I need such facility BADLY.

>  * Terry, I believe you mentioned that some Microsoft Developer package
>    contained sources for the Word Viewer, or something similar.  Would
>    there be any chance of crossing this with a Win32-on-unix environment
>    like that from Willows or Bristol to get a FreeBSD Word Viewer?  I'm
>    sick beyond belief of having to find a copy of Word and 2-300 sheets
>    of paper just to read these banal "standard" documents.

I'dd love that too!  All our corporate mail is on M$ Worst... Yuck!

---
If Microsoft Built Cars:

Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new
car.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313