Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      stheg olloydson <stheg_olloydson@yahoo.com>
To:        paulh@logicsquad.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [OT] Re: find -exec surprisingly slow

it was said:

>I'm not sure that I can make qmail do anything else.  These are spams
>sent to non-existent addresses at my domain, being caught by
>.qmail-default.  What I am going to do is clear out the Maildir daily
>instead of monthly, though.  Collecting them has become a significant
>drain on disk space---the 400K spams are the result of about a month
>and a half of collection.

Hello,

What I would do is avoid the problem in the first place by not having a
.qmail-default. I don't know how important being sure you have no false
positive spam rejections to incorrect/misspelled addresses is to you,
but is it worth accepting hundreds of thousands of spams and then
looking through them to find the very few that may be legitimate? I
think you would be better off creating variations in the users' .qmail
file, such as paul.hoadley@, phoadley@, paul.h@. That could been done
via a script that gets called when you create a user, so the only extra
work would be to write script the first time and plugging it in. (Of
course, you would have to run it against your existing users, too.)
As I said, I don't know what your requirements are, just my 2% of the
applicable currency's base unit.

HTH,

Stheg