Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:46:28 +0000
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Pentium bugfix for FreeBSD

Hi,

Someone recently suggested here (I would quote them if I hadn't
inadvertantly typed "delete" then "update") that the workaround for intels
latest bug may not be integrated into FreeBSD because if you wanted to
crash a machine, you can do it regardless.

However, most other methods for crashing a machine that I can think
of require a pretty concerted effort to exhaust system resources, and
are therefore relatively easily traceable.  The F00F bug however, is
untraceable, and therefore I feel that it should be integrated into the
source tree.

A kernel configuration option to turn it on/off might be useful if it
has a performance impact.  Or then again, maybe you should go and get
a new CPU from Intel. :)

Hmm there's a thought - I wonder if you would have to give the old one
back, if not .. SMP here I come!

Niall