Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 19:06:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP problems with ISDN "modem"?

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995 grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU wrote:

> I've hit a few problems using ppp (iijpp v. 0.94) under FreeBSD 2.0.5.
> The first one I hit was that I was getting the message:
> 	** Too many ECHO packets are lost. **
> after about three minutes of connection time, fairly consistently.
> I was also getting this with my 28.8 connection, but it would only happen
> every few hours there.  I've put what appears to be a short-term fix
> for this by setting the LQR timeout to be one day (i.e.:
>     set timeout 300 86400
> ).  I'm not sure yet whether this is a long-term fix.
>
> A more serious problem right now is that most large-file transfers
> are hanging after a small percentage of the file is transferred.  It
> seems to be due to an interaction with the IP software on the two
> machines.  For instance, one file I was transferring (ppp.tar.gz)
> would always hang after 18980 bytes had been transferred, when transferred
> from a SunOS 5.4 machine, but when I put the file onto a different machine
> (running Ultrix v4.3a), it transferred fine the first time.  From the sun,
> it would hang after around 24k in ASCII mode.  While it was hanging
> (in ESTABLISHED mode), other connections (e.g. rlogin) continued to
> work fine.
>
> Similarly, while using Netscape (1.1), most pictures would hang during their
> transfer (although text usually managed to transfer easily).
>
> Finally, I just seem to have hit the rough edges of the ppp software
> in general. For the first time, I got a core dump from ppp (with a trashed
> stack).  I've seen problems in cleanup when exceptional situations (like
> the "too many ECHO packets" problem above) cause the program to exit.
> And, of course, as I try to use some of the more obscure features of
> ppp, the lack of decent documentation has becomes more and more of a
> problem.
>
> Anyway, the main thing I wanted to find out was how to deal with the
> problems with hanging.  Has anyone else seen this, and found a fix?

set timeout 0
Do this near the top of the file, if done after the connection is made it
doesn't seem to have any effect.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> 	Steven

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.