Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:58:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in pmap_enter

:I rebuilt my -current system this morning and am now getting paincs with
:both the SMP and non-SMP kernels.  The current panic with a uniprocessor
:kernel is:
:
:panic: pmap_enter: invalid page directory, pdir=0, va=0xc0da0000
:
:It occurs right after the output for pci0.  I'm currently sitting at the db>
:prompt with this kernel.
:
:With an SMP kernel, I get the following at the same point in the boot
:process:
:
:panic: pmap_enter: invalid page directory, pdir=0, va=0xc0da3000

    This usually happens when you set kernel resource options that are
    too high.  If you are setting kernel resource options, try commenting
    them out.

    To get your old kernel to boot you may have to remove your ethernet card.

:I can still boot my old kernel (from 3/26), but I get a panic in ifconfig
:when my Ethernet card (an onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100) is
:configured, so it's not easy for me to get working sources or newer changes.
:Has anyone else seen this?  I haven't seen much email today because my
:-current machine is where I normally get my mail.  :(
:
: -Patrick

    You can boot the kernel into single user mode.  Interrupt the FreeBSD
    boot sequence by hitting space, then (typically) type 'boot /kernel -s'
    (specify a path to your working kernel if not /kernel).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>